Sunday, August 19, 2012

Google Drive - Language Change issue.

This post is not something which is related to Programming. It's the issue I had with the newly launched Google Drive. I have my windows 7 in French but with some tweaks now its in English. The issue I had with Google Drive was that no matter how many times I installed/re-installed the application on windows, it always was with French as language. There is no option in the settings of Google Drive to change it. And I prefer to have it in English. So here is the trick to solve this issue.

Close Google Drive from the system tray and do following:

Solution 1 (Need to be done every time you restart windows and that's annoying):
Step 1: Go to command prompt. (Run -> cmd).
Step 2: run the following command: 
C:\>set LANG="en_US" C:\Program Files\Google\Drive\googledrive.exe 
Solution 2 (Easy and not Annoying):
Set a new environment variable with variable name "LANG" and value "en_US" (In case if you don't know how to set enviornment variable in Windows check my old post on Windows Environment Variable).

Once all this is done start Google drive again and Voila.. problem solved.

Hope this helped you. 

10 comments:

matriz said...

Hurrah my friend! Thank you very much

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! Google devs are crazy, how can such a basic feature not be a part of the app!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I had the same problem. Google now has a commercial brain that supersedes the user's need.
Manolo

fLiCkEr said...

I agree with you guys.. I too was surprised with the fact that such a basic thing was missing..

ifj. Katkó László said...

Thanks a LOT! The environment var really works great.

Ken Copeland said...

thankyou!. Google drive is not the only thing that does this. I have to work my way around a lot of other things, even search results! It drives me crazy..... but every now and then some programmer has been smart enough to ask "which language". I agree that it is amazing (and disappointing for a Google Fan) that Google don't.

Anonymous said...

So much for Google's stated philosophy. From their "10 Things We Know to be True"

1. Focus on the user and all else will follow.
...And when we build new tools and applications, we believe they should work so well you don’t have to consider how they might have been designed differently.

http://www.google.com/about/company/philosophy/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
halman said...

I would like to find a good app of google drive for windows phone, so if someone knows... please answer me.

Anonymous said...

Wow Nyc Post Also Check out This

Hassan Khokhar

Apps reviews

Fancy text

PkOnlineClasses

Privacy Policy

Visit Here I hope you enjoy It